Learn how to write application programs that use Data Language One (DL/I) to process terminal input and output messages in an Information Management System / Data Communications (IMS/DC) system.
- Modify an IMS batch DL/I application program to function in an IMS/DC environment: receiving a message from a terminal and sending output messages to terminals
- Handle the exception conditions that may occur using DL/I functions
- Work with Scratch Pad Areas (SPA) in an IMS-conversational program
- Understand the application program considerations in using Message Format Services (MFS) and the system service functions data structures
Who Can Benefit
This intermediate course is for individuals responsible for writing programs in Common Business Oriented Language (COBOL), or Programming Language One (PL/I) using DL/I to communicate with terminals in an IMS/DC system.
- IMS Fundamentals (CM010) or IMS Fundamentals -Web (CMW01)
- IMS DB Application Programming (U3717)
- or be able to:
- Describe the basic control and flow of IMS/DC communications facilities
- Understand the DL/I components and calls of a database application program
- Modify a program in COBOL or PL/I to add IMS/DC functions