The Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.2 Maintain and Troubleshoot course is designed for the IT security management professional tasked with troubleshooting Endpoint Protection 14.2. Students learn how to troubleshoot installations, monitor and troubleshoot the SEPM, client-to-SEPM communication, content distribution, client deployments, and protection technologies. The class also covers how to follow Symantec best practices for remediating a virus outbreak, automating functionality with REST APIs, and integrating Endpoint Protection with 3rd party applications.
- Monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot an Endpoint Protection environment.
- Upgrade the Endpoint Protection environment.
- Use best practices when troubleshooting and remediating a virus outbreak.
- Automate functionality with Rest APIs and integrate Endpoint Protection with 3rd party applications
This course assumes that students have attended Endpoint Protection 14.2 Configure and Protect or have relevant experience maintaining a SEP environment, including basic troubleshooting.
This course includes practical hands-on exercises that enable you to test your new skills and begin to use those skills in a working environment.
250-428 Administration of Symantec Endpoint 14
Module 1: Troubleshooting Techniques and Tools
- Use a systematic approach for problem solving.
- Describe Symantec and third-party troubleshooting tools and how they are used.
- Know which SEPM and SEP client logs to research when troubleshooting specific issues.
- Use the Symantec Knowledge Base and interact with Symantec Technical Support.
Module 2: Troubleshooting the Console
- Describe the components that make up the Endpoint Protection Manager.
- Describe SEPM services and their roles.
- Troubleshoot problems related to the SEPM services that prevent you from logging onto the console.
- Describe the database configuration and connection methods.
- Configure email to enable an administrator to reset passwords and know where to check administrator permissions.
Module 3: Installation and Migration Issues
- Troubleshoot and resolve a failed Endpoint Protection Manager installation.
- Troubleshoot and resolve a failed Endpoint Protection for Windows client install.
- Troubleshoot and resolve a failed Endpoint Protection for Mac client install.
- Troubleshoot and resolve a failed Endpoint Protection for Linux client install.
Module 4: Client Communication Issues
- Identify the interactions between the client and the SEPM.
- Identify heartbeat process.
- Locate and configure debug logs for client communication issues.
- Describe communications issues from the client perspective.
- Identify Linux and Mac communication issues.
Module 5: Content Distribution Issues
- Troubleshoot and resolve LiveUpdate issues on the SEPM and client.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues between a client and management server.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues from clients who retrieve updates from a Group Update Provider.
Module 6: Extending the SEP infrastructure
- Describe how data is transferred during replication and know which replication logs are affected.
- Automate functionality with Rest APIs.
- Integrate Endpoint Protection with third party applications
Module 7: Responding to a Security Incident
- Identify and examine useful SEPM reports for incident response.
- Learn the best approach for handling a virus outbreak.
- Identify and submit false positives to Symantec
Module 8: Performance Issues
- Assess SEP performance using sizing and scalability recommendations.
- Optimize performance for the SEPM.
- Optimize performance for the SEP client.
- Utilities and other resources.
- Case studies