The Veritas NetBackup Appliances 5.0: Configuration and Management course is designed for the IT professional who is new to appliances and is responsible for configuring the NetBackup 5250, 5340, and 5350 appliances, performing appliance maintenance tasks, and managing appliances.
This course covers how to configure the appliances and add storage to the appliances. You will learn how the appliances easily integrate into the NetBackup environment, how to run backups and restores, maintain and monitor the appliances, and the basics of resolving appliance issues. In addition, you will also learn about reconfiguring the appliances, deploying virtual appliances, using common appliance features, and clustering NetBackup 53xx appliances.
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe key components of the NetBackup Appliances - hardware and software.
- Configure the NetBackup Appliance.
- Configure Universal Shares in an Appliance.
- Perform local configuration tasks using the Appliance Web Console and the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu CLISH.
- Perform remote configuration tasks using Veritas Remote Management (VRM).
- Integrate appliances into the NetBackup environment, and run backups and restores.
- Configure appliance shares and work with Oracle Copilot and Instant Access for VMware.
- Resolve appliance issues with troubleshooting tools.
- Monitor appliance health.
- Update appliance software.
- Perform maintenance tasks on the appliance.
- Reconfigure the appliance.
- Describe pre-configuration tasks for deployment and configuration of a NetBackup Virtual Appliance.
- Cluster NetBackup 53xx appliances.
Who Can Benefit
This course is meant for customers and partners who are new to NetBackup appliances and are responsible for configuring NetBackup 5250, 5340, and 5350 appliances, performing appliance maintenance tasks, operating and managing the appliances, and troubleshooting the appliances.
You must have working knowledge of Veritas NetBackup. It is beneficial to have some knowledge about Veritas NetBackup appliances, networking, and storage concepts.
NetBackup Appliances: Introduction
- NetBackup Appliance Family: Overview
- NetBackup Appliance Software: Overview
- NetBackup Appliance Hardware: Overview
- Veritas NetInsights Console: Overview
Configuring the Appliance
- Pre-configuration Checklist and Other Considerations
- Accessing the Appliance Web Console
- Initial Configuration Using Appliance Web Console and NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu (CLISH)
- Remote Configuration Using VRM Interface
- Appliance Management Server
- Exercise A: Configuring a Primary Server Appliance
- Exercise B: Adding a 5350 Media Server Appliance to a Master Server
- Exercise C: Configuring a 5350 Media Server Appliance
- Exercise D: Verifying the Configuration
- Exercise E: Accessing the NetBackup Administration Console
- Exercise F: Viewing Software Emails
Performing Appliance Operations
- Integrating Appliances in a NetBackup Environment
- Performing Backups and Restores with Appliances
- Configuring NetBackup Appliance Shares
- Instant Access for VMware
- Configuring MSDP Direct Cloud Tiering
- Exercise A: Using the Appliance Shell Menu to View Storage Information
- Exercise B: Creating and Resizing Storage Partitions
- Exercise C: Configuring Backup Policies
- Exercise D: Performing Manual Backups
Appliance Troubleshooting and Tools
- Appliance Online Resources
- Appliance Physical Inspection
- Resolving Common Hardware Faults
- Exercise A: Using the Appliance Shell Support Menu Troubleshooting Commands
- Exercise B: Viewing Log Files Using the Support > Logs Command
- Exercise C: Performing Log Transfers Using the Support > LogBrowser Command
- Exercise D: Viewing the CLISH Audit Log
Monitoring Appliance Health
- Monitoring with OpsCenter
- Monitoring with Appliance Web Console and NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu
- Monitoring with Veritas Remote Management
- Exercise A: Monitoring the Appliance Primary Server Using OpsCenter
- Exercise B: Monitoring the Appliance Primary Server Using the Appliance Web Console
- Exercise C: Monitoring the Appliance Primary Server Using the Appliance Shell Menu
Updating Appliance Software
- NetBackup Appliance Software Version 5.0 Upgrade: Overview
- Upgrading the Appliance
- Appliance Management Console: Overview
- Configuring an Appliance as an AMS
- Managing Appliances with the Appliance Management Console
- Performing NetBackup Client Upgrades with VxUpdate
- Exercise A: Configuring an Appliance as an Appliance Management Server (AMS)
- Exercise B: Configuring an Appliance as an Appliance Management Agent (AMA)
- Exercise C: Managing Appliances from the Appliance Management Console (AMC)
Performing Appliance Maintenance Tasks
- Managing AutoSupport Alerts
- Setting the Login Banner
- Configuring a NetBackup CLI User
- Configuring LDAP and AD Authentication
- Adding a Storage Shelf
- Maintaining Appliance Security
- Configuring SAN Client and Fibre Channel Replication
- Exercise A: Creating, Viewing, and Removing Login Banners
- Exercise B: Configuring User Authentication
- Exercise C: Creating and Using NetBackup CLI Users
- Exercise D: Maintaining Appliance Security
Reconfiguring the Appliance
- Resetting the Appliance
- Reimaging the Appliance
- Migrating to a New Appliance
- Decommissioning an Appliance
- Exercise A: Performing a NetBackup Manual Backup
- Exercise B: Configuring Data Migration
- Exercise C: Viewing the Migration Task Status
- Exercise D: Viewing Data Migration Results
Working with Copilot
- Challenges in Database Protection: Overview
- NetBackup Copilot for Oracle: Overview
- Copilot Configuration: Overview
- Recovery Scenarios and Procedures
- Exercise A: Creating and Mounting an Appliance Share
- Exercise B: Configuring Storage Lifecycle Policies
- Exercise C: Configuring an Oracle Intelligent Policy
Working with NetBackup Virtual Appliances
- Virtual Appliances: Overview
- Differences Between Virtual and Physical Appliances
- Pre-configuration Tasks
- Deploying a NetBackup Virtual Appliance
- Configuring a NetBackup Virtual Appliance
- Additional Configuration Tasks
- Upgrading the NetBackup Virtual Appliance
- Exercise A: Deploying a Combined Primary and Media Server Appliance
- Exercise B: Replicating Images to a NetBackup Virtual Appliance
Clustering NetBackup 53xx Appliances
- High Availability: Overview
- Installation and Configuration
- AutoSupport for High Availability
- Universal Share for Appliance High Availability
- Upgrading NetBackup High Availability Appliances
- Exercise A: Configuring a NetBackup 53xx High Availability Setup
- Exercise B: Adding a Partner Node to the NetBackup 53xx High Availability Configuration
- Exercise C: Performing a Failover Scenario During Backup
Appendix A: NetBackup 5250 Appliance
- NetBackup 5250 Appliance: Overview
- NetBackup 5250 Appliance: Physical Status Indicators
- NetBackup 5250 Appliance: Maintenance Tasks
Appendix B: NetBackup 5350 Appliance
- NetBackup 5350 Appliance: Overview
- NetBackup 5350 Appliance: Physical Status Indicators
- NetBackup 5350 Appliance: Maintenance Tasks
Appendix C: NetBackup 5340 Appliance
- NetBackup 5340 Appliance: Overview
- NetBackup 5340 Appliance: Physical Status Indicators
- NetBackup 5340 Appliance: Maintenance Tasks