The Veritas NetBackup Appliances 3.2: Configuration and Management course is designed for the IT Professional who is new to appliances and is responsible for configuring the 5240 and 5340 appliances, performing appliance maintenance tasks, operating and managing the appliance, and troubleshooting the appliance.
- This course covers how to configure the appliances and add storage to the appliances. You learn how the appliances easily integrate into the NetBackup environment, how to run backups and restores, and the basics of resolving appliance issues and maintaining the appliances. You also learn about reconfiguring the appliances, configuring CloudCatalyst, and deploying a Virtual Appliance.
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe key components of the NetBackup Appliances hardware and software.
- Configure the NetBackup Appliance.
- Perform local configuration tasks using the Appliance Web Console and CLISH.
- Perform remote configuration tasks using VRM.
- Integrate appliances into the NetBackup environment, run backups and restores.
- Configure appliance shares and work with Oracle Copilot and Instant Access for VMware.
- Resolve appliance issues with troubleshooting tools.
- Monitor appliance health.
- Update appliance software.
- Maintain the appliance.
- Reconfigure the appliance.
- Configure and maintain CloudCatalyst.
- Deploy Virtual Appliances.
Who Can Benefit
This course is for customers and partners new to appliances and front-line technical support personnel who are responsible for configuring the 5240 and 5340 appliances, performing appliance maintenance tasks, operating and managing the appliance and troubleshooting the appliance.
You must have working knowledge of Veritas NetBackup. It would be beneficial to have some knowledge about Veritas NetBackup Appliances, networking, and storage concepts.
This course includes practical hands-on lab exercises that enable you to test your new skills and begin to transfer them into your working environment. It also includes demonstrations and videos as part of the lab work.
NetBackup Appliances: Introduction and Overview
- NetBackup Appliance family overview
- NetBackup Appliance software overview
- NetBackup Appliance hardware overview
Configuring the Appliance
- Pre-Configuration Checklist and other considerations
- Accessing the Appliance Web Console
- Initial configuration tasks using the Appliance Web Console and the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu
- Remote configuration using Veritas Remote Management (VRM)
- Appliance Management Server
- Appliance configuration validation
- Exercise A: NetBackup 3.2 Lab Environment
- Exercise B: Configuring a Master Server Appliance
- Exercise C: Adding a 5330 Media Server Appliance to a Master
- Exercise D: Configuring a 5330 Media Server Appliance
- Exercise E: Verifying the Configuration
- Exercise F: Launching the NetBackup Administration Console
- Exercise G: Viewing Software Emails
Performing Appliance Operations
- Integrating Appliances in a NetBackup Environment
- Performing Backups and Restores with Appliances
- Running Backup Reports
- Configuring appliance shares
- Working with Oracle Copilot
- Instant Access for VMware
- Exercise A: Appliance Shell Menu Storage Information
- Exercise B: Resizing Storage
- Exercise C: Configuring Policies to use Advanced Disk Storage
- Exercise D: Performing Manual Backups to Storage
- Exercise E: Viewing the Disk Pool Information
- Exercise F: Viewing Storage Emails
- Exercise G: Running Deduplication Reports in OpsCenter (Optional)
Appliance Troubleshooting and Tools
- Appliance Online Resources
- Appliance Physical Inspection
- Resolving Common Hardware Faults
- Exercise A: Appliance Shell Support Menu Troubleshooting Commands
- Exercise B: Viewing Log Files Using the Support > Logs Command
- Veritas NetBackup 5240 Appliance: Hardware Installation and IPMI Configuration Walkthrough
Monitoring Appliance Health
- Monitoring with OpsCenter
- Monitoring with the Appliance Web Console and the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu (CLISH)
- Monitoring with Veritas Remote Management
- Exercise A: Monitoring an appliance with OpsCenter
- Exercise B: Monitoring an appliance with the Appliance Shell Menu
- Demo 5b: Veritas Remote Management (IPMI)
Updating Appliance Software
- NetBackup Appliance software version 3.2 Upgrade: Overview
- Upgrading the appliance
- Appliance Management Console overview
- Configuring an appliance as an Appliance Management Server
- Managing appliances with the Appliance Management Console
- NetBackup client upgrades with VxUpdate.
- Exercise A - Configuring an appliance as an Appliance Management Server (AMS)
- Exercise B - Configuring an appliance as an Appliance Management Agent (AMA)
- Exercise C - Managing appliances from the Appliance Management Console (AMC)
- Demo 6a: Upgrading to 3.2
Performing Appliance Maintenance Tasks
- Managing AutoSupport alerts
- Setting the Login Banner
- Configuring a NetBackup CLI User
- Configuring LDAP and AD Authentication
- Adding a Storage Shelf
- Maintaining appliance security
- Configuring SAN Client and Fibre channel replication
- Exercise A: NetBackupCLI user Administrative Users
- Exercise B: An Introduction to the NetBackup Command Line Shell
- Exercise C: Configuring LDAP and AD Authentication
- Exercise D: Viewing SDCS Audit Logs
- Exercise E: Creating a Login Banner
- Demo 7a: (Optional) – Add storage to 5240 and 5340
- Demo 7b: (Optional) – 5240 Storage expansion kit
Reconfiguring an Appliance
- Appliance Resets
- Appliance Reimaging
- Migrating to a New Appliance
- Decommissioning an Appliance
- Exercise A: Performing a Manual Backup
- Exercise B: Configuring Data Migration
- Exercise C: Viewing Migration Tasks Status
- Exercise D: Viewing Data Migration Results
- Demo 8a: Performing a Factory Reset
Working with the CloudCatalyst 5240
- NetBackup CloudCatalyst Appliance Overview
- Configuring a Linux media server as a CloudCatalyst storage server
- Configuring a NetBackup CloudCatalyst Appliance
- Setting up NetBackup CloudCatalyst in AWS
- Performing duplication and backup operations to CloudCatalyst
- Maintaining a NetBackup CloudCatalyst Appliance.
- Exercise A: Configuring a CloudCatalyst appliance
- Exercise B: Perform duplication and backup operations to CloudCatalyst
Working with Virtual Appliances
- Virtual Appliances Overview and Use Cases
- Differences Between Virtual and Physical Appliances
- Pre-configuration Tasks
- Deploying a NetBackup Virtual Appliance
- Configuring a NetBackup Virtual Appliance
- Additional Configuration Tasks
- Demo 10a: Deploying a Virtual Appliance in the Master Server Role (ROBO)
Appendix A: Clustering NetBackup 53xx Appliances
- High Availability Overview
- Installation and Configuration
- AutoSupport for High Availability
Appendix B: NetBackup 5240 Appliance
- NetBackup 5240 Appliance Overview
- NetBackup 5240 Appliance Physical Status Indicators
- NetBackup 5240 Maintenance Tasks
Appendix C: NetBackup 5340 Appliance
- NetBackup 5340 Appliance Overview
- NetBackup 5340 Appliance Physical Status Indicators
- NetBackup 5340 Maintenance Tasks