BigFix combines endpoint and security management into a single solution that enables users to see and manage fixed, mobile, physical and virtual endpoints on more than 90 different operating system versions. In addition to ensuring that all of a company’s systems are patched and secure, BigFix automates time-intensive tasks across complex networks, queries endpoints in real-time for the presence of malicious files, allows for quick software installations, performs advanced automation, and allows for simple remote control with just a few clicks. This course will present material that will help BigFix Users develop the foundation knowledge they need to successfully leverage BigFix in their managed environments.
- Gain a basic understanding of the BigFix portfolio and architecture
- Learn to use and configure the operator Console
- Explore and learn to use the BigFix Web User Interface
- Create and deploy patches manually and through automation by using policies
- Learn about Fixlets, Tasks, and Baselines and when to use them
- Learn about Roles and Users
- Overview including key concepts, features and functions of BigFix Patch
- Navigating the BigFix Patch console and Web User Interface
- Patching Windows Environments
- Explore and create Web Reports
- Perform basic troubleshooting
Students should have:
- Basic Microsoft Windows and VMWare skills
- Welcome to the BigFix Family!
- What can BigFix do for you?
- Identifying the BigFix suite components.
- A modular approach to meeting your operational requirements.
- Let’s take a look at the latest and greatest features of BigFix.
- How BigFix works under the covers.
- Message flow - Discovering the flow of how action directives make it to endpoints and back to the BigFix server.
- Let’s discover the console!
- Workflow – Get your work done with the BigFix Console
- Optimizing your BigFix Console experience
Web User Interface
- What is the Web UI?
- Navigating the Web UI
- Discovering the Apps menu
- How do I find patches in the Web UI?
- Let’s deploy some patches!
- Looking for something? Let’s learn about Query
- Headaches keeping up with patches? Let’s automate with policies!
Content and Sites
- What is content?
- What are Fixlets, Tasks and Baselines and when should I use them?
- Take Action!
- Discovering Analyses and Properties
- How to use custom computer properties to unleash the power of BigFix
- Get organized with Content Sites!
- Learn how to secure your BigFix Environment using Roles and Users
- Minimize administrative overhead using Computer Groups!
- What is BigFix Patch?
- Features of BigFix Patch
How to Get Started with BigFix Patch
- What are content sites?
- How to enable and subscribe computers into content sites
- Scaling out patch deployment to other operating systems
- Who publishes patches into External patch sites?
- Differences between External and Custom content sites
- Differences between Windows and Non-Windows patches
- Download Plugins (for Non-Windows patches)
Deploying Patches (Using Default Parameters)
- One patch
- Many patches as an ad-hoc group
- Many patches as ‘Baselines’
Customizing a Patch Action:
- Static Snapshot of targets
- Dynamically selecting targets
- Manually listing targets
- Constraints and Behavior
- Reboot / Shutdown
Everything you need to know about Web Reports
- Configure and use web reporting
- How to access the Web Reports Interface
- List and generate existing reports
- Explore and Filter Data
- Create Custom Reports
- Export Report Data
- Schedule Reports to be automatically generated and mailed
- How to upload and review client logs
- Analyzing events in the console