Data warehousing is a solution organizations use to centralize business data for reporting and analysis. This five-day instructor-led course focuses on teaching individuals how to create a data warehouse with SQL Server 2014, and implement ETL with SQL Server Integration Services. This course helps people prepare for exam 70-463.
- Data warehouse concepts and architecture considerations
- Select an appropriate hardware platform for a data warehouse
- Design and implement a data warehouse
- Implement data flow and control flow in a SSIS package
- Debug and troubleshoot SSIS packages
- Implement a SSIS solution that supports incremental data warehouse loads and extracting data
- Implement data cleansing using Microsoft DQS
- Implement Master Data Services (MDS) to enforce data integrity
- Extend SSIS with custom scripts and components
- Deploy and configure SSIS packages
- How Business Intelligence solutions consume data in a data warehouse
Who Can Benefit
This course is intended for databaseprofessionals who need to fulfil a Business Intelligence Developer role. They will need to focus on hands-on workcreating BI solutions including Data Warehouse implementation, ETL, and datacleansing. Primary responsibilities include:
- Implementing a data warehouse.
- Developing SSIS packages for data extraction, transformation, and loading.
- Enforcing data integrity by using Master Data Services.
- Cleansing data by using Data Quality Services.
Thiscourse requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- At least 2 yearsexperience of working with relational databases, including:
- Designing anormalized database.
- Creating tablesand relationships.
- Querying withTransact-SQL.
- Some exposure tobasic programming constructs (such as looping and branching).
An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue,profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.
Module 1: Introduction to Data WarehousingThis module provides an introduction to the key components of a data warehousing solution and the high-level considerations you must take into account when you embark on a data warehousing project.
- Overview of Data Warehousing
- Considerations for a Data Warehouse Solution
Lab : Exploring a Data Warehousing SolutionAftercompleting this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the key elements of a data warehousing solution
- Describe the key considerations for a data warehousing project
Module 2: Data Warehouse Hardware ConsiderationsThis module discusses considerations for selecting hardware and distributing SQL Server facilities across servers.
- Considerations for building a Data Warehouse
- Data Warehouse Reference Architectures and Appliances
Lab : Planning Data Warehouse InfrastructureAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe key considerations for BIinfrastructure.
- Plan data warehouse infrastructure.
Module 3: Designing and Implementing a Data WarehouseThis module describes the key considerations for the logical design of a data warehouse, and then discusses best practices for its physical implementation.
- Logical Design for a Data Warehouse
- Physical design for a data warehouse
Lab : Implementing a Data Warehouse SchemaAftercompleting this module, you will be able to:
- Describe a processfor designing a dimensional model for a data warehouse
- Design dimensiontables for a data warehouse
- Design fact tablesfor a data warehouse
- Design and implement effective physical datastructures for a data warehouse
Module 4: Creating an ETL Solution with SSISThis module discusses considerations for implementing an ETL process, and then focuses on Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) as a platform for building ETL solutions.
- Introduction to ETL with SSIS
- Exploring Data Sources
- Implementing Data Flow
Lab : Implementing Data Flow in an SSIS PackageAfter completing thismodule, you will be able to:
- Describe the keyfeatures of SSIS.
- Explore sourcedata for an ETL solution.
- Implement a data flow by using SSIS
Module 5: Implementing Control Flow in an SSIS PackageThis module describes how to implement ETL solutions that combine multiple tasks and workflow logic.
- Introduction to Control Flow
- Creating Dynamic Packages
- Using Containers
- Managing Consistency
Lab : Implementing Control Flow in an SSIS PackageLab : Using Transactions and CheckpointsAftercompleting this module, you will be able to:
- Implement controlflow with tasks and precedence constraints
- Create dynamicpackages that include variables and parameters
- Use containers ina package control flow
- Enforce consistency with transactions andcheckpoints
Module 6: Debugging and Troubleshooting SSIS PackagesThis module describes how you can debug packages to find the cause of errors that occur during execution. It then discusses the logging functionality built into SSIS that you can use to log events for troubleshooting purposes. Finally, the module describes common approaches for handling errors in control flow and data flow.
- Debugging an SSIS Package
- Logging SSIS Package Events
- Handling Errors in an SSIS Package
Lab : Debugging and Troubleshooting an SSIS PackageAfter completing this module, you will beable to:
- Debug an SSISpackage
- Implement loggingfor an SSIS package
- Handle errors in an SSIS package
Module 7: Implementing a Data Extraction SolutionThis module describes the techniques you can use to implement an incremental data warehouse refresh process.
- Planning Data Extraction
- Extracting Modified Data
Lab : Extracting Modified DataAfter completing this module, you will beable to:
- Plan dataextraction
- Extract modified data
Module 8: Loading Data into a Data WarehouseThis module describes the techniques you can use to implement a data warehouse load process.
- Planning Data Loads
- Using SSIS for Incremental Loads
- Using Transact-SQL Loading Techniques
Lab : Loading a Data WarehouseAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Describe the considerations for planning data loads.
Use SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) to load new and modified data into a data warehouse.
Use Transact-SQL techniques to load data into a data warehouse.Module 9: Enforcing Data QualityEnsuring the high quality of data is essential if the results of data analysis are to be trusted. SQL Server 2014 includes Data Quality Services (DQS) to provide a computer-assisted process for cleansing data values, as well as identifying and removing duplicate data entities. This process reduces the workload of the data steward to a minimum while maintaining human interaction to ensure accurate results.
- Introduction to Data Quality
- Using Data Quality Services to Cleanse Data
- Using Data Quality Services to Match Data
Lab : Cleansing DataLab : Deduplicating DataAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Describe how DQS can help you manage data quality.
Use DQS to cleanse your data.
Use DQS to match data.Module 10: Master Data ServicesMaster Data Services provides a way for organizations to standardize and improve the quality, consistency, and reliability of the data that guides key business decisions. This module introduces Master Data Services and explains the benefits of using it.
- Introduction to Master Data Services
- Implementing a Master Data Services Model
- Managing Master Data
- Creating a Master Data Hub
Lab : Implementing Master Data ServicesAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Describe the key concepts of Master Data Services.
Implement a Master Data Services model.
Use Master Data Services tools to manage master data.
Use Master Data Services tools to create a master data hub.Module 11: Extending SQL Server Integration ServicesThis module describes the techniques you can use to extend SSIS. The module is not designed to be a comprehensive guide to developing custom SSIS solutions, but to provide an awareness of the fundamental steps required to use custom components and scripts in an ETL process, based on SSIS.
- Using Scripts in SSIS
- Using Custom Components in SSIS
Lab : Using Custom ScriptsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Include custom scripts in an SSIS package.
Describe how custom components can be used to extend SSIS.Module 12: Deploying and Configuring SSIS PackagesMicrosoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) provides tools that make it easy to deploy packages to another computer. The deployment tools also manage any dependencies, such as configurations and files that the package needs. In this module, you will learn how to use these tools to install packages and their dependencies on a target computer.
- Overview of SSIS Deployment
- Deploying SSIS Projects
- Planning SSIS Package Execution
Lab : Deploying and Configuring SSIS PackagesAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Describe considerations for SSIS deployment.
Deploy SSIS projects.
Plan SSIS package execution.Module 13: Consuming Data in a Data WarehouseThis module introduces BI, describing the components of Microsoft SQL Server that you can use to create a BI solution, and the client tools with which users can create reports and analyze data.
- Introduction to Business Intelligence
- Enterprise Business Intelligence
- Self-Service BI and Big Data
Lab : Using a Data WarehouseAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Describe BI and common BI scenarios.
Describe how a data warehouse can be used in enterprise BI scenarios.
Describe how a data warehouse can be used in self-service BI scenarios.