Individuals who pass the performance-based Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Configuration Management with Puppet exam (EX405) have demonstrated their ability to manage Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® systems using Puppet and Red Hat Satellite Server. This exam is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and Red Hat Satellite 6.
Who Can Benefit
- Experienced Linux system administrators responsible for the planning, deployment, and management of multiple physical or virtualized servers
- Experienced Linux systems administrators responsible for implementing DevOps practices
- An RHCE interested in earning a Red Hat Certificate of Expertise or Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA) credential
- Hold a current RHCE certification at exam time
- Have Red Hat Configuration Management with Puppet (DO405) or equivalent experience
- Understand that actual system administration experience is also an important aspect of preparation for the exam
- Review exam objectives for the Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Configuration Management with Puppet exam
- Red Hat encourages all candidates for the Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Configuration Management with Puppet exam to consider taking the Configuration Management with Puppet course (DO405). Attendance in the course is not required, so one can choose to take just the exam.
- While attending Red Hat courses can be an important part of one's preparation to take this exam, attending courses does not guarantee success on the exam. Previous experience, practice, and native aptitude are also important determinants of success.
- Many books and other resources on using Red Hat's products are available. Red Hat does not officially endorse any as preparation guides for its exam. Nevertheless, you may find additional reading deepens understanding and can prove helpful.
- This exam is a performance-based evaluation of system administration skills and knowledge with a focus on Puppet and Red Hat Satellite 6. Candidates will be required to perform a number of routine system administration tasks utilizing Puppet and will be evaluated on whether they have met specific objective criteria.
- Performance-based testing means that candidates must perform tasks similar to what they perform on the job.
- The Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Configuration Management with Puppet exam is a hands-on exam that lasts 3 hours.
Study points for the exam
To help you prepare, the exam objectives highlight the task areas you can expect to see covered in the exam. Red Hat reserves the right to add, modify, and remove exam objectives. Such changes will be made public in advance.
Candidates should be able to perform these tasks:
Install and configure Puppet.
- Install Puppet servers.
- Install Puppet nodes.
- Register Puppet nodes to a Puppet server.
Create and maintain Puppet manifests.
- Create new Puppet manifests.
- Debug existing Puppet manifests.
Create Puppet modules.
- Create reusable modules.
- Create modules with classes, name spaces, variables, and conditionals.
- Create modules that install software on target nodes and deploy configuration files.
Use facter to obtain system information.
- Create custom facts.
- Use facts to change Puppet behavior.
Create Git repositories.
- Create and perform simple management of a Git repository.
- Add files to a Git repository.
- Apply changes and commit changed files to a Git repository.
Implement Puppet in a Red Hat Satellite 6 environment.
- Create a Puppet repository on Red Hat Satellite.
- Install, configure, and deploy Puppet modules using Red Hat Satellite.
- Register Puppet clients to a Red Hat Satellite server.
As with all Red Hat performance-based exams, configurations must persist after restart without intervention.