In this post, we outline the roles that the U.S. government requires to help fill the cloud skills gap and explain what two cloud roles will be in demand in the federal government.
DevOps is an approach that combines the efforts of software developers (Devs) and operations (Ops) teams to develop software that runs more efficiently and with greater security. It refers to the combination of different practices and tools used to increase the organization's capabilities to deliver services and applications much faster than the typical software development process in the market. DevOps also is an agreement between the software developers and those who provide the software to the end users, often known as the DevOps pipeline.
The main advantage of DevOps is the elimination of barriers often experienced between the teams during and after development and operations. Typically, the development and operations work together throughout the lifecycle of the software application, starting from development, testing, deployment, and operations. If you're looking for the best DevOps training, you must look for programs offering hands-on experience and updated industry standards. Enrolling in a DevOps certification course will enhance your career prospects while obtaining knowledge and skills to excel in your field. For those starting their careers in DevOps, the best DevOps certification for beginners is typically the Certified DevOps Professional (CDP) because it offers a solid foundation in DevOps principles and practices. On the other hand, the best DevOps Certification for professionals looking to advance their careers further would be AWS Certified DevOps Engineer.
The following are some of the advantages of DevOps to organizations:
- Reliability: Adopting DevOps best practices such as continuous integration and delivery will always guarantee quality application updates, enabling developers to deliver consistently and ensuring an optimal experience for the end users.
- Speed: DevOps allows organizations to move at the speed they need to innovate and adapt to changing markets, therefore becoming more efficient in achieving business results.
- Fast delivery: When the pace of releases is increased, it will improve the product much faster, allowing for building a competitive advantage.
- Security: Organizations can opt for DevOps without compromising security when they adopt automated, integrated security testing tools.
- Enhanced Collaboration: Using DevOps, developers and operations teams share responsibilities, collaborate closely, and combine workflows. As a result, it reduces inefficiencies while saving time.
DevOps Certifications List
DevOps certifications have become a critical component in the IT industry. Many DevOps certifications are on the market today, and the best will typically depend on your industry, current market trends, and experience level. Here is a DevOps certifications list featuring a few of the industry's most respected and commonly requested DevOps certifications:
AWS DevOps certification from Amazon Web Services showcases your ability to deploy AWS applications and infrastructure. Additionally, it shows your expertise in cloud computing platforms, such as implementing and automating security controls, compliance validation, and governance processes. AWS is among the leading cloud computing platforms, so AWS certification is among the top in-demand certifications. Typically, these credentials suit DevOps engineers working in cloud technology, particularly in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) environment. To take this certification, one requires at least two years of working experience in an AWS environment and the capability to code in a high-level programming language.
Microsoft Azure DevOps certification demonstrates expertise in DevOps processes, such as working with people, processes, and technologies to deliver business value. Under this certification, you'll be assessed on developing instrumental strategies, security and compliance protocols, and site reliability engineering strategies. To take this certification, you'll be required to have experience with Azure development or administration, and it's suitable for DevOps engineers.
Kubernetes certification is similar to Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), and it validates the ability to deploy and manage containerized applications that use Kubernetes. It is intended for those who have worked extensively with Kubernetes and containerization in a DevOps environment.
Docker is a tool that simplifies software deployment, development, and programming using containers. It is one of the leading runtime platforms using containers. Therefore, obtaining Docker training and certification comes with numerous advantages. The training covers Docker and containers, image creation, orchestration, registry, and management. It also covers networking, configurations, security, and storage. The training is intended for software engineers, DevOps engineers, and other professionals working with Docker. It requires someone with a deep understanding of Linux.
Puppet Certified Professional
Puppet software is a systems management tool that helps automate and manage server configuration. Puppet is used to automate processes to deliver infrastructure changes and create better software much faster. Passing Puppet certification exams shows you have practical skills and real-world experience using Puppet IT automation software. The certification tests the understanding and use of concepts relating to strategies, classification, module authoring, and troubleshooting Puppet code. It also tests the administration, orchestration, environments, and language. The certification is intended for DevOps engineers and other IT professionals with Puppet experience.
DevOps Certification Path
Each DevOps certification has different paths, and each company has its unique DevOps course and DevOps certification training. Other third-party organizations offer DevOps online course programs to help candidates prepare and attain certification ranging from DevOps certification for beginners to the expert level.
AWS Certification Path
The AWS certification path consists of a series of certifications designed to validate your expertise and proficiency in various aspects of cloud computing and AWS services. The following is the DevOps certification path for AWS:
- Foundational Level: The entry or the foundation level is the AWS-certified Cloud practitioner. It is ideal for anyone with a non-IT background who wants to switch to a cloud career. It's the foundation to get more advanced certification and covers the fundamentals of AWS best practices and cloud computing concepts.
- Associate Level: There are three certifications at the associate level. These certifications are for people with basic IT knowledge who wish to gain skills on AWS and build their credibility as an AWS Cloud professional. Prior cloud and strong on-premises IT experience is recommended.
- Professional Level: Professional certification shows advanced knowledge and skills to design modern secure applications and automate processes. The certificate requires two years of experience working with an AWS cloud environment. There are two certifications on the professional level.
- Specialty Level: AWS specialty certifications are more specialized and focus on specific areas of AWS services. The level of technical expertise required is intense. It emphasizes DevOps practices and culture in the AWS environment. Before taking these exams, one is expected to be an expert in the chosen specialty. At this level, you'll position yourself as one of the trusted advisors to your customers in these specialty areas. These certifications are intended for system administrators, DevOps engineers, and any professional working on automation. Typically, you're expected to have between two and five years of experience with hands-on experience in your specialty area. There are six specialty areas, as shown below:
Microsoft Certification Path
Microsoft DevOps Engineer certification follows three stages:
- Fundamentals certification: This certification confirms foundation knowledge of cloud concepts in Azure. You will have to know Azure services and architecture components. Also, you have to know the tools and features to secure, administer, and govern Azure. The certification is ideal for anyone who wants to enhance their knowledge of cloud computing, services, and hybrid, private, and public cloud models.
- Associate certification: There are two associate certifications, and either is a prerequisite for Microsoft Certified: DevOps Engineer Expert. The first, Microsoft Certified Azure Administrator Associate measures skills such as managing Azure identities, implementing and managing storage, deploying and managing Azure compute resources, and implementing and managing virtual networks. Other areas include governance, monitoring, and maintaining Azure resources. The second, Microsoft Certified Azure Developer Associate certification is for candidates involved in all phases of development, design, deployment, performance, maintenance, tuning, and monitoring. It requires candidates to know about data storage, APIs, SDK, Data connections, debugging, App authentication, and container deployment.
- Expert certification: To take this certification, you must have experience developing and administering Azure. Additionally, you have to be familiar with GitHub and Azure DevOps. The certification measures skills such as configuring communication and processes, designing and implementing source control, developing security and compliance plans, and implementing instrumentation strategies.
The Bottom Line
DevOps certifications can significantly boost your career prospects and earning potential. When choosing a DevOps certification, aligning it with your current skills, career goals, and the tools or platforms you work with is crucial. Whether you're interested in cloud computing, containerization, automation, or other DevOps practices, there's a certification that can help you achieve your objectives. So, invest in your professional development, earn a DevOps certification, and open the door to a world of exciting careers.
Browse DevOps Training CoursesLearn More